Students must meet the eligibility criteria in order to apply for the UWC colleges.
- The applicant must be a citizen of Nepal.
- The applicant must be no more than 18 years of age and no less than 16 years old by the start of the UWC academic year (usually mid-August).
- All candidates must have completed 10th grade.
- The applicant must have a minimum grade 10 final score of 70% in the case of applicants from private schools and 60% in the case of applicants from public schools.
- Siblings of former UWC students are also eligible to apply.
Criteria for Evaluation and Evaluation Guidelines
Successful candidates should be selected against the following core selection-criteria:
a) Intellectual Curiosity and Motivation
The applicant should demonstrate a genuine urge to learn about the world around them and the ability to recognise the details and grasp the breadth of issues (for example global and local concerns) involved in any given topic and to analyse them thoroughly
b) Resilience, Personal Responsibility and Integrity
They need to be able to look after themselves physically and emotionally during the challenging and transforming experience that a UWC offers; the personal motivation to adhere to UWC’s common moral and ethical principles, a sense of humility and an ability to listen and value another person’s opinion and experience.
c) Active Commitment
They should be able to demonstrate the ability to develop and readiness to reflect, question and confront their own values, to measure their behavior within family and community against their values, and to act on one’s own beliefs accordingly and responsibly.
d) Social Competence
They should have the ability and readiness to make contact with other people, to interact respectfully with them, to work together with them in a team and to achieve solutions. This could also be understood as the ability to express oneself adequately in different situations and to different people.
Each stage has its own evaluation form and marking guidelines. Before each stage all members of the selection committee will be briefed in detail about how to approach the evaluation of each specific stage. They are also stated in detail in the selection manual.